Parting Thoughts 6/7

Dearest, silliest, most frustrating, loving students,

This quote means so much to me, and I want it to mean something to you too as this chapter of your story comes to an end.

"For what it's worth... It's never too late, or too early, to be whoever you want to be. There's no time limit. Start whenever you want. You can change or stay the same. There are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you've never felt before. I hope you meet people who have a different point of view. I hope you live a life you're proud of, and if you're not, I hope you have the courage to start over again." 
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

This idea motivates me constantly. You guys "motivated" (or challenged) me constantly as well. Teaching you was the most consistently and unyieldingly challenging experience of my life. My life before this was easy and comfortable. I didn't feel passion or rage or exhaustion or heartbreak or fire. I just existed.

Then I came here, and then I met you. You guys rocked my world! Every day was a fight; I still don't feel like either of us came out unscathed or clearly victorious. I came here to teach you, but in the end you became my teacher. Thank you for teaching me so much about myself. Thank you for teaching me so much about you. Thank you for teaching me so much about teaching.

You're growing older and moving on. I will see some of you again, but others I will not. I most likely won't get a chance to see how you develop into your best self, or how long it takes, or what mistakes you make, or what astounding successes you achieve. Know that I'm rooting for you. Even if I cried constantly in your class, or was frustrated, or disappointed. Even if you think I didn't care. I did, and I do, and I will.

Middle school and high school are rough. They are likely not the best years--they may even be your worst--but life is so beautiful and there is so much out there in this wide world waiting for you to experience it. Make the best of this experience. Make yourself proud. If you're not proud of the life you're living, be courageous enough to start over.

I did, and it brought me here to you.


Gratefully,

-Ms. Harmon

Comments

Popular Posts